Categories of Leave of Absence and Required Document
|Category||Application Period||Required Document||Maximum Period
|How to Apply|
|General Leave of Absence||From the last day of academic semester until the 3/4 point of the next academic semester||-||M.S. : 2
Ph.D. : 4
Integrative : 6
|UST Integrative Info System →Academic Management →Leave of Absence Apply Here|
|Special Leave of Absence||Military Service||Anytime||Notice for Enrollment (Only for Korean male students)||Given period|
|Pregnancy·Delivery||Certificate of pregnancy·delivery or Certificate of Kinship||2 semesters (Only for female students)|
|Childcare||Certificate of Kinship||4 semesters|
|Start-up||Certificate of Incorporation||4 semesters|
|Disease||Written diagnosis requiring medical treatment longer than 30 days issued by a general hospital. When hospitalization in needed, written diagnosis issued by special hospitals can be accepted. Counsel with person in charge at UST.||2 semesters|
|Others||Official document that can prove that applicant can not pursue education longer than 30 days(natural disasters, delay in Visa issuance, etc.)||2 semesters|
Each type of special leave of absence is given additional period regardless applicant’s academic course.
Freshmen can not apply for general and start-up leave of absence.
Leave of Absence Approval Process
- Application by StudentsDocument must be submitted when applying for special leave of absence
- Student CounsellingMandatory counselling session with UST staff
- Approval by Campus/School① Advisor ② Major Chief Prof.
- Approval by UST Main OfficeDean of Academic Affairs
- Notice of ResultNotice will be given to applicant and his/her campus
Credit(s) can be given when applicant made more than 3/4 of the semester.
Extension of Leave of Absence
- When students on leave of absence wish to extend the period, the application must be made again.
- Application for leave of absence can be made up to 2 semesters each time, in case of disease leave of absence, application can be made up to 1 semester each time.
When leave of absence occurs after applicant make tuition payment, refund can be made.
|Standard date※||Amount to be refunded|
|Up to 30 days since semester starts||100% of the tuition|
|After 30 ~ 60 days since semester starts||2/3 of the tuition|
|After 60 ~ 90 days since semester starts||1/2 of the tuition|
|After 90 days since semester starts||None|
The date when cause for tuition refund happens(for example, when application for leave of absence was made)
Application for Return to School
- Period : During given date each semester(Before semester starts)
- How to Apply : UST Integrative System(Same as the leave of absence application)
- When period of leave of absence expires, students must make an application for return to school. Otherwise, he/she will be expelled from UST.